Far Fetched Tales Dog Training and Pet Sitting

www.dogtrainerpamela.com

e-mail: trainerpamela@gmail.com

904-352-7631

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Exercise and Your dogs heart rate

Maximum Heart Rates for Humans and Dogs
Sport scientists typically use heart rate measured in beats per minute
As an indicator of how hard an athlete can and should exercise
aerobically. There is an optimal "training zone" which is generally between 50-75% of the maximum heart rate. In humans, the maximal
heart rate is about 220 beats per minute, so the training zone is
about 150-175, depending on the age of the individual.

HUMAN CANINE
Problem is, dogs have maximal heart rates far above humans and
far higher than most Agility fanciers are aware of. During exercise,
the canine heart can beat 300 beats per minute, which would prove
fatal to any human athlete. At 300 beats per minute, the canine
heart pumps several times every second! By the time your own feet
begin to hurt and you're running out of air, your dog is actually just
getting warmed up. In reality, dogs have to work very hard to reach
the upper levels of their training heart rate zones. Workouts that are taxing for humans exert the dog much less. For example, running at a rate that exhausts humans is far below even the lower range of the canine training zone for a fit dog.

So is your dog really receiving enough exercise, just running loose in the yard? It’s been my observation, the dog will just go lay in the shade.


1 comment:

  1. I started a running program on my quest to run a marathon in May. In the beginning months and miles I‘d alternate taking my Shelties out with me for company. I would be tired after a 3 mile run. They would get the zoomies upon arriving home. As the miles grew 4-5-6-7-8 I never tired them out - the zoomies continued. I guess it was very frustrating to Chip and Tinkerbell that I am a slow runner. One time I took Tink for 12 miles. That slowed down the zoomies. But Shelties aren’t really built for running partners so now that my mileage has increased they only go with me on short runs. There was panting going on sometimes, but I never really could get a good heart rate for them at my speed.

    ReplyDelete

Please visit my homepage @ www.farfetchedtalesagility.com for agility, basic obedience, or behavior problems training information.